Rihanna cancels her France Concert in Nice after another terror attack

Singer Rihanna has cancelled a concert in Nice in the wake of the Bastille Day attack that left at least 84 dead. The pop star wrote on Instagram that her gig on Friday at the city’s Allianz Stadium “would not be going ahead as planned… due to the tragic events”.

The Nice Jazz Festival, due to start on Saturday, has also been cancelled. Many figures from the entertainment world have expressed shock at the news, with Simon Cowell among those sending “thoughts and prayers to all affected”.

Rihanna, currently in Europe with her Anti tour, was in Nice at the time of the attack but was said to be “safe” by her representative. The makers of the sequel to Fifty Shades of Grey also said that everyone working on the film had been accounted for and was “safe and sound”.

Producer Dana Brunetti circulated the statement on Facebook, saying it was “another sad day for France and the world”. The film, entitled Fifty Shades Darker, had been filming on location in the south of France. Boy George tweeted that his “heart breaks for France”, while Cyndi Lauper said she was “so sad for the people of Nice”.